...and all this is to whom?

email: encyclical at gmail.com

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

We almost died


I love to explore. If I see a hill or mountain around and we're not doing anything else I will really want to at least try to climb it. When I lived on Overlea Drive in North York I went with various people climbing down this huge hill through a forest. We also had snuck down the side of a huge bridge over Leaside Park. When I lived on Wynford Drive with Dan, three friends trekked down with me into the Don Ravine as well.

When J and I went down we started to walk along the GO train tracks. On these bridges there are spaces where you can stand safely if a train were to pass. We figured that if a train was coming we would definitely hear it before it got too close. Unfortunately we weren't versed in train sounds I suppose. A GO train came around a bend in the track at full speed and we didn't hear it until it came into view. We were about half way down this bridge. Instead of trusting the little "spot" on the bridge we turned and ran back. It's not exactly clear on this picture but there isn't much on the side of the tracks. It's about a 3 foot drop into dense growth. We ran to the end of this bridge and threw ourselves down over the edge of the tracks.

Yeah we were pretty dumb that day...

6 Comments:

  • At 07 November, 2006 22:17, Blogger kristin said…

    when the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is the only light we'll see... i won't cry i wont cry no iiiii won't shed a tear just as lo-o-o-ong as you stand, stand by me... and darlin darlin sta-a-a-and by me...

     
  • At 07 November, 2006 22:27, Blogger Unknown said…

    You could say weren't "trained" to hear the sound :)

     
  • At 07 November, 2006 22:45, Blogger Sj said…

    yuk yuk yuk SJ, from Sj

     
  • At 08 November, 2006 09:08, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha! i can only imagine what the driver must've been thinking if he saw you..i don't even want to say! HAhA!

     
  • At 09 November, 2006 08:46, Blogger Sj said…

    There was also a homeless guy living in a huge tent down the side of the Don Valley. It was awesome, he had all these ropes set up for drying clothes and weird pail-contraptions set up for washing them in the stream.

     
  • At 15 November, 2006 15:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kristin - I was thinking the same thing!!! I want to rent that movie now! LOL

    Seriously, I am glad you are not dead! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home