...and all this is to whom?

email: encyclical at gmail.com

Sunday, November 05, 2006

V for Vendetta (2)

Remember, remember, the 5th of November...

My wife wrote a post about this movie the other day on her site. We had two friends over today who ended up watching this with us again. While searching for some info about it online I found the following quote about the movie in its Wikipedia article.

Ted Baehr, chairman of the Christian Film and Television Commission, called V for Vendetta "a vile, pro-terrorist piece of neo-Marxist, left-wing propaganda filled with radical sexual politics and nasty attacks on religion and Christianity".


I fail to see how this movie actually attacks Christianity, especially since I consider myself quite Christian. There is a priest who likes little girls, is morally corrupt yes and has accomplices too. There are also citizens who give into their fear and for years allow their government to hold the true power in their lives. So then does that make this film one filled with "nasty attacks on civilian citizens of a country and Britons in particular"? No of course not. Wow Ted, what a great point you made.

5 Comments:

  • At 06 November, 2006 18:55, Blogger kristin said…

    remember remember the 5th of november... the first day i ever saw v for vendetta.

    thanks! i freakin loved it.

     
  • At 10 November, 2006 00:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks to you Steve my entire weekend is gone. I must now watch Borat and DOAP before I feel like I'm totally out of the loop.

    I also spent an hour of training time reading the Wikipedia article about V for Vendetta and I've had to insist my brother downloads V for Vendetta so I can watch it again.

     
  • At 10 November, 2006 07:46, Blogger Sj said…

    For the 'V' comment - what did you think of it the first time?

    Is watching it again because you loved it so much or in reaction to reading that article and going oh...?

    ;)

     
  • At 10 November, 2006 09:10, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was good but honestly I was kind of tired and don't think I caught everything. I liked how movie ended however I wonder if I wouldn't have enjoyed it more if it had been truer to the novel.

    After reading the article it definitely made me want to see it again. I didn't stop with the first article I had to check out Guy Fawkes and all the different characters as well. From there I went to Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty-Four and Utopia (I have a bunch of reading to do as the first 2 books I haven't looked at since high school. I never read Utopia, but right now it's pretty high up on my list)

     
  • At 12 November, 2006 19:44, Blogger Krupo said…

    Lots of movies are anti-religion, anti-Catholic, anti-Christian - V really wasn't that, but you can sort of forgive these people for getting hyper-sensitive about anything that portrays religion in a bad light.

    Doesn't mean they're right, but they've taken a lot of abuse in pop culture and it'd be nice to get some fair treatment.

    [shrug]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home