...and all this is to whom?

email: encyclical at gmail.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

To begin

I’m never sure where an author begins their piece… the idea? Did they live it? Did they flesh it out or did they just start writing it? I am unsure because the first few pages on the sheet can’t really be captivating and impressive. More likely they just have to keep writing until the story takes some life of its own. Until it grows and then they can go back and erase what came before and pretend. They can rewrite the start and make it seem as if they meant to follow the path the reader does. Just like with any movie, I mean we’re no longer stupid enough to actually think it was filmed in sequence, right?

4 Comments:

  • At 01 November, 2006 10:40, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find writing a blog is a lot like that. Sometimes I'll start a post and realize when I'm heading in a completely different direction than where I'd intended to be. For almost every post I have a rough draft that looks nothing like what eventually post evolves into. I think that it's one of the draws to blogging. You have the opportunity to work things out, rephrase and play with your thought until it truly reflects you.

    It makes a big difference when an author lives something. It comes through in the care and passion they put into their writing.

    On another note JK Rowling (I know you care) said the Harry Potter story come to her all at once and my aspects of the story come out of her own life. (I'm willing to admit the last 2 books have been a little inferior, but I'm hoping that's because she's saved the best for last.)

     
  • At 01 November, 2006 14:59, Blogger kristin said…

    you have drafts for your blog posts???

    when i post it's like a free-for-all stream of consciousness. i rarely edit. actually I rarely edit in general, notwithstanding grammar. Seems to be going okay for schoolwork, i tend to get A- or better on written stuff. I'm just trying to think of whether the entire idea is there half-formed in my imagination before i ever put pen to paper (fingers to keyboard...)

     
  • At 01 November, 2006 18:15, Blogger Sj said…

    Sometimes when I feel emotional a bit or realize the post is getting rather long, I take the time to read it over again. The times I haven't I either sneak by somehow or get people confused. (I think)

     
  • At 01 November, 2006 20:21, Blogger kristin said…

    yup.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home